My personal recipe for using up the Broccoli in the fridge (or any other tired looking vegetables). This pleases me so because I am absolutely that person who has GREAT intentions when supermarket shopping, and then ends up a week later with all these vegetables in the fridge I can’t really use because they look well, bedraggled, but don’t want to waste.
Sharon’s Vegetable Soup (Broccoli & Mushroom in this case)
- Stare at tired looking broccoli in fridge.
- Discover package of mushrooms you have no other use for.
- Sautee 1 onion in olive oil whilst you chop up broccoli extremely randomly.
- Chuck some garlic in the pan if you so desire.
- Throw broccoli into pan.
- Dump mushrooms in pan. Splash leftover white wine over it all.
- Consider having a sip, and realize it’s inappropriate.
- Boil water for stock, use Massel powder and mix up a crapload of it as you’re not sure how much you need.
- Give the pan a stir. When everything seems right, pour stock over it to cover.
- Let simmer, covered, until all vegetables are soft.
- Pour the leftover cream from last night’s steak dinner into the pan. Sit and think about that awesome steak. Stir it all through.
- Toast some bread.
- Use your bamix or blender to blend to a creaminess. Season to taste.
- Stir some cheese through if you want.